Saturday, August 13, 2011

Learning Lessons and Making Time

What a fantastic day! I went to bed last night at 2am, and reluctantly dragged myself out of bed at 7am to go to the local Farmers Market to interview artists and introduce myself to new artists for potential future artist interviews. I am becoming aware of one major theme that seems to be across the board for every creative dreamer I have met so far: Make time for your craft. All too often we put aside what we want to do for what we feel we need to do. Our dreams are cast to the wayside, while we work and toil away at jobs we hate so that one day we may be able to afford time off to do what we want to do. I am learning that this is backwards. 
One day, while waitressing at a food chain that I desperately hated- I had a very enlightening conversation with two carnival workers that happened to stop in for a late dinner. They were happy. Truly ecstatic about life. It was infectious. I spent more time at their table than any other during my shift, and while the tips reflected it at the end of the night, I was grateful for my interaction with these two eccentric men. After they had their fill of fried food and bad jokes, one of the men looked at me seriously. “Do you enjoy what you do?” I didn’t have to think about it. “No.” I responded immediately. “But I am saving money to travel. I want to make documentaries, and see the world.” He smiled at me, I saw for the first time a wisdom etched in the lines of his face- and his eyes. “Tell me Corin- do work to live? Or do you live to work?” 
Not everyone enjoys their “day job”, so why then allow it to take over and exhaust you? Sure- life can be difficult, and we all have obligations, but there is ALWAYS time for what you love to do. Making time to paint early mornings before your kids awake, or at night after they have gone to bed. Drawing concepts and ideas in a notebook you bring everywhere with you- storing ideas and inspiration that you can refer back to later. Busting out a hoola hoop or work on a dance routine while you wait for the bus. Yeah- sometimes you might feel a little weird about doing this in public, but you are utilizing spare time to do the things you love- WHO CARES what people think about you- if they think negatively, that is their own insecurities at play, not yours; and if they think positively, you have inadvertently inspired another person. 
Making time is, for me, the hardest part about living my dream- but in order to live it, I absolutely MUST make time. 
Next to making time, I have learned that we each have to allow ourselves to create without personal judgement. In the first Dream Leaper Interview (which I have yet to post) I have been judging myself way too harshly. I must remember: I am new to this. I do not have to be perfect. I do not have to produce high quality videos right now. All I have to do is move. Movement creates experience, experience creates learning, learning expands growth, and eventually, I will be able to produce the quality films that I aspire to. I can apply this to my writing as well. The more I write, the better I will get. One step at a time in the same direction, no matter how small, I will make it to my goal. This excites me. I am on my way :-D
 Last weekend I went to the Farmers Market with no plan, and a hope to get some interviews. Several unexpected things happened when I arrived: I got shy and insecure, and it was way busier than I expected. I was uncomfortable about approaching new people (even though this is what I normally do best) and I was embarrassed about sharing my ideas with them about my film project and blog. I mean, who was I to call myself an artist among such amazing and established people- “TRUE ARTISTS”! (I am learning to embrace my artist-self. It is at times uncomfortable, but it is also a learning process.)  


I spoke with a few acquaintances and set up some loose interviews for the following Saturday. I had all week to plan and prepare, and I didn’t put any time into it. In the end, I made it to the market late, and missed the prime interview time while they were setting up and before the customers arrived. 
BUT I learned a very valuable lesson: allow time for preparation and pre-production. Have my questions planned and ready (and written down, in case I forget them) Be on time. Be EARLY, in fact. Know my interviewee, as well as my audience. Conduct research about them and their products before I arrive. Be sure to state clearly what I need- loud and clear voice, complete sentences (starting the answer with the question, etc). Having a clear vision on what I am looking for will help the interviewee to feel more comfortable, and will allow me to cut together a more cohesive video in the end. 
With all of that said- I ended up having some REALLY amazing interviews, with some insanely talented and wonderful artists. I also networked and plan to spend the week organizing my interviews and project so that I can begin interviewing these artists and posting videos each week. I walked around to each booth, introducing myself to people, asking questions, collecting business cards, and gaining inspiration and motivation from each interaction. It was deeply affirming to me to be able to state clearly my intentions with with this film project. The interactions enabled me to articulate my personal goals and desires for my vision and my art. I am beyond inspired and looking forward to sharing the results with all of you wonderful people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment